Friday, April 19, 2013

Why Do I Need My Birth Chart, Again?

Ptolemy's zodiac
On getting to know your birth chart:

We've all seen horoscopes in magazines––your life for the next month summarized in a paragraph. Waiting at the dentist, I'd read my paragraph and wonder ... It's impossible for astrologers to know me, so how do they do this? And why does it seem to fit sometimes?

One-paragraph horoscopes are usually pretty sketchy. But what about someone like Susan Miller, whose Astrology Zone is hugely popular? Susan offers really detailed monthly horoscopes for each sign, complete with discussions of what's happening in the houses. How about that?

Astrologers like Susan Miller and Rob Brezsny (Freewill Astrology) look at what's happening in the sky (as all astrologers do) and then relate those influences to each sign of the zodiac as a whole.

So, with all the planets stampeding through Aries lately, we could say, wow, these Aries planets are opposite Libra, and squaring Cancer and Capricorn, so things will be jumping for anyone whose Suns are in those signs.

That's actually likely to be true in most cases, which is why Susan Miller and Rob Brezsny have lots and lots of readers who gain insights from their work. The problem, from my point of view, is that all Libras are not created equal. Neither are Aries, Taureans, Geminis, or anyone else ...

My Sun is in Libra. In the ordinary way of speaking, I'm a Libra. Except I'm not at all like Libras are typically described. I wasn't usually able to see myself in horoscopes, either, which is maybe why that's not the kind of astrology I do.

My Sun is at 0 Libra, for one thing, so I'm right on the edge. (Some people find me a bit edgy, too, but that's another story.)  I also have other powerful planets in my chart, some in intense combinations, which bring different energies into play.

For me, relying on a whole-sign horoscope doesn't work. For example, Susan Miller's horoscope for Libra for last month (March) turned out to be dead right in some ways. Now it's April, though, and I seem to be on a completely different track that what's she's describing.

Please note, I am not saying Susan Miller is a bad astrologer––not at all. She's insightful, she's intuitive, and she's a good writer. In fact, I'm using Susan as a contrasting example because she is a good astrologer, and I'm happy to recommend her.

I'm pointing out that the style of interpretation Susan offers often doesn't work for me because I'm not a typical Libra.

The experience that led me into astrology was seeing my own birth chart and understanding what it said. Well ... beginning to understand it, anyway, as it continues to unfold.

For me, the real gold lies in seeing the reflection of a unique individual in a birth chart. That's the part of reading charts that intrigues me, excites me, and fills me with awe. We've all got the same parts, and we're each put together differently. Every chart is amazing.

If you read monthly or weekly horoscopes and learn everything you want and need to know, that's fabulous. If horoscopes don't seem to reflect your situation, it's time to get to know your birth chart.

Another note: Getting to know your birth chart doesn't mean you need to become an astrologer. Starting out with a few basics is enough. In fact, following along with Rising Moon is a great way to begin.

Paying attention to where the New and Full Moons fall in your chart, watching how things unfold for you at those times (which come up every few weeks), will begin to highlight where the sensitive spots are for you personally. Over time, you'll get a feel for which times of year are more active for you, when things seem to shift or issues come to a head.

So, for now, keep in mind:

• Horoscope styles of astrology are based on treating each sign of the zodiac as a whole.
• This style works great for some people, and less well for others.
• If you find horoscopes hard to relate to, getting to know your birth chart is a powerful alternative.
and
• Getting to know your birth chart is a great idea even if you like horoscopes!

Free birth charts are available HERE or HERE ... or contact me to schedule a reading.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment