![]() |
| the Capricorn Sun? |
December 24, 2012
A few days ago, I wrote about getting in touch with our birth charts, finding where the growth points are, and learning which transits of planets through signs are likely to affect us the most.
This learning process is a great reason to follow the Moon, who some astrologers slight because she changes so quickly––we live in the moments of those quick changes, and our experiences are right there for us to feel and relate to.
Christmas Eve brings the Gibbous Moon, the square-and-a-half between the Sun and Moon. This sesquiquadrate is an edgy aspect pattern, and the Gibbous Moon is often a challenge before we reach the illumination of the Full Moon.
This Gibbous Moon certainly carries its share of challenge: The Sun in hard-driving Capricorn is squaring revolutionary Uranus, a classic encounter between an immovable object and an irresistible force. We could feel really pushed today, pushed hard.
But me, I feel happy. In the spirit of Christmas and the mysteries of the Moon, I'll tell you why. The Moon is our mama, and we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy––under these aspects, my Moon is happy.
Here's how it works for me, as an example, and to encourage you to get to know your Moon mama better: My Moon is in Virgo; at 0 degrees of Virgo, in fact, which makes her anxious. Then, looming over my Moon is my natal Pluto, and together they're right at my Ascendant.
Astrologers out there are already saying "ouch" and for everyone else, this means I often feel insecure, anxious, inept, and so on ... and yes, I know many people who know me won't believe that. I also have Leo rising, who puts up a good front, but believe me, my Moon can be a jumpy, unhappy place.
... Except when the transiting Moon's in Taurus, which (for several astrological reasons) feels wonderful to me.
With a Taurus Moon, I feel content, peaceful, blissed out. I feel the wonderfulness of the world, its abundance, its myriad marvels.
When the Sun's in Capricorn, trining my anxious Moon, I feel more capable, more powerful, more energized. This is how it works for me.
It's not all sweetness and light in the sky or my birth chart: That same Capricorn Sun strengthening my Virgo Moon every Winter's Solstice also squares my Libra Sun.
This year's Gibbous Moon brings my Sun front and center into a T-square with the Sun and Uranus, telling me in a very pointed way to revolutionize my life. I'm working on it, I promise (I keep muttering this...).
Still, my Moon mama is happy. It all looks possible, and doesn't need to happen today, no matter how pushy Uranus gets.
It will happen, though: The Capricorn Sun is moving toward conjunction with transformative Pluto, who holds to his sextile with Saturn, they're still in mutual reception, and still forming a yod with Jupiter. The phoenix is about to flame up, to rise again.
My absolutely favorite tale from this time of year is Dicken's A Christmas Carol, a story I feel a deep, abiding connection to. The Capricorn Sun can be a real Scrooge––a grasping, squeezing, covetous old sinner. This energy embodies everything we like least about a season that gets commercialized, overspent, overstuffed, and still somehow never enough.
On the night of this Gibbous Moon, Christmas Eve, Capricornian Scrooge will go through the fire, encountering (with the help of Pluto and Saturn) the dark side of his greed and lack of compassion. We all have this chance to be remade, we're all invited to walk abroad with the spirits.
When the transiting Moon's in Taurus, I am confident in the redemptive powers of insight and compassion. Here, have something heartening and sweet for your journey. It could be a long night, I know it will be a magical one, and we'll awaken to a wonderfully magical birth.


No comments:
Post a Comment