![]() |
| Newgrange spirals |
December 21, 2012
In astrology, the Winter Solstice happens when the Sun enters Capricorn, cardinal Earth. The Sun goes to ground, so to speak, standing still for about three days before turning back from decline and beginning to rise higher in the sky once again.
Since the time is marked by the Sun's entry into Capricorn, the astrological solstice does not always fall on December 21. This year, it does, arriving just before dawn, Eastern Standard Time.
Much has been said about this December 21, and much written. Here, I'll focus on the astrology of this day––which is compelling in its own way, though not (in my view) catastrophic.
Throughout this Solstice chart, we see a combination of the mystical and the practical. The Sun at 0 Capricorn, the workhorse of the zodiac, sextiles Neptune at 0 Pisces, the zodiac at its most visionary. The Sun in conjunct Juno, the goddess focused on justice and social contracts. Neptune is conjunct Chiron, the wounded healer and mentor.
We see pragmatic action grounded in reality connecting to the deepest, widest, broadest, craziest, most impossible dreams we can dream.
There's energy here too, a wild fiery blending of mind and heart: The Solstice Moon rides through the middle of Aries, cardinal Fire, making a flowing trine to Mercury in Sagittarius.
Here we have emotions and thoughts flaming together, moving confidently into new territory.
Then the heavy hitters, bringing gravitas to the celebration: Saturn and Pluto form a tight sextile, made more powerful by their mutual reception. These two share energy because they're 60 degrees apart, and because each travels through the sign ruled by the other.
Saturn, that bastion of responsibility, practicality and hard work, is at his most mysterious and magical in Scorpio. This Saturn has hidden depths, doesn't miss a trick, and seems to know everything.
Pluto, lord of the depths, is at his most comprehensively thorough in Capricorn. He leaves no stone unturned; in fact, he's moving continents.
The only question with these two working together is, can we stand it? Can we look unflinching at the secrets uncovered? Can we look truth in the face and go toe to toe with Goliath? This is a real question, not a rhetorical one, and the Solstice chart says we're still thinking about it.
Saturn and Pluto are each inconjunct Jupiter, forming yet another yod or finger of fate. The pattern is especially strong today, with all three less than a degree apart in each sign.
So, Saturn and Pluto join power, making Jupiter really uncomfortable. Can we be sure of anything in these times? What do we really know? Jupiter is retrograde in Gemini, remember, and much less sure of himself than usual. The philosopher-sage has a lot on his mind.
The yod aspect always points to a place where we need to make adjustments––this yod, combining as it does, Saturn, Pluto and Jupiter, points to big adjustments. The answer to the problem posed by a yod is said to lie underneath the apex––and there we see Venus, generously optimistic in Sagittarius.
Venus is personal. She's creative and relational. She's clever, holding her own in debate while never losing sight of the human aspects of a situation. You remember the slogan, the personal is political? This Venus, resting opposite Jupiter, poised between Saturn and Pluto, might be telling us the political is personal––or perhaps challenging us to realize this.
Another way to express this might be to say that what we do and how we do it, say more about who we are than what we say. If our actions are already aligned with our values, this is comforting. If they're not, well, it's going to feel a bit awkward until we get things lined up better.
At the Winter Solstice, at Newgrange in Ireland, the Sun pierces deep into a stone tunnel carved with spirals and other drawings. Just one day each year, a shaft of light illuminates this shadowed spot. We don't know what––or who––might have been placed in the niche at the end of the passage. We don't know what significance the ancients attached to this.
Yet there's a long waiting list, to be one of the few allowed in to see this Solstice light. We've all got those dark places in need of insight and healing. We've all got unanswered questions. We look to the Solstice Sun to show us, not everything, but the next thing.


On Jan. 11, 2009, I was getting in an early morning workout under a full moon. What was interesting was that the full moon set over the Pacific Ocean just as the sun does everyday. I looked and just marveled at. I knew the next day wouldn't be a full moon, but it was going to be close enough for me to get a good picture of it. I went out the following morning and got a decent picture, but had to use my cell phone's camera (didn't realize my digital was sapped of battery life).
ReplyDeleteI've been trying to get that picture again for three years. I've learned a bit more about photography since (not that i'm great at it) but I could and want to take a better photo.
So, with that said, how can I find out when the full moon will be "going down" over the Pacific?
Good question ... the way I'd to it is with an app. I've got one on my iPhone called MoonPhase that includes times for Moon rise and set for whatever time zone you set it to. I'm sure there are others out there. Good luck getting your picture!
Delete"Can we look truth in the face and go toe to toe with Goliath? This is a real question, not a rhetorical one, and the Solstice chart says we're still thinking about it."
ReplyDeleteThis Yod overlaps my own natal Yod, and as you say, I am thinking about it.
"Another way to express this might be to say that what we do and how we do it, say more about who we are than what we say."
That's it exactly. Well said - as obvious as we might hope this would be, I still thank you for saying it! Happy Solstice.:)
Thank you, LB. A natal yod in that same position could lead to serious philosophical examination. I imagine you're a thoughtful person, and appreciate your comments.
DeleteHappy Solstice!
Hi Mary Pat,
ReplyDeleteI've only been following your post for a short time - and can't even remember who turned me onto your work. Each one has been impressive, and the one before this drew a tweet from me.
However, I want you to know it is frustrating to not be able to find "you" in all of this. You don't sign your name on the email w/ the post that goes out. I can't reply to tell you what I think because that email is "no reply."
I come here and can barely find you, and when I do it's a tiny box off to the right with a bare bio and still no way to contact you.
Even your website is missing the absolutely conventional "Contact" menu option (sort of like coming up to a front door and finding there's no door knob to turn.)
Your work is perceptive, intelligent, full of light... and yet the "you" behind it is missing in action.
just sayin'.....
Warmly,
Ariane
Thank you, Ariane, I appreciate the feedback as well as your support for my writing.
DeleteI'll admit, I tend to focus on the writing, and also lose track of the social media bells and whistles I could be using to connect better.
What I'm doing now is working with a web designer to create a new integrated platform that will help present my work in the best way, get me set up with all the latest widgets, and present a fresh new face to the world––look for results in the coming year!
In the meantime, I'll add some details here :)
thanks!